Monday, October 1, 2007

Hmmmm. Nasdaq Makes 52 Week High. What To Do?

I'm not sure I know what to do right now except for hang on. I've been waiting for a dip to buy more. The dip has never really happened, just some sideways consolidation. I'm really glad that a couple of weeks ago I put most of my cash to work, save ~10%. I would be kicking myself right now if I had not. If MVIS would decide to make a move, my account would be near a YTD high.

Many times today I was tempted to sell parts of my positions, especially the ones that I'm up over 10%. I ended up not selling anything, mainly because I often sell too early. If the market wants to run through the year-end, I'm fairly certain my stocks that have just broken out will run with it. That being said, the damn indexes will have to pullback at some point, so I'm going to have to sell something in order to buy when that happens.

I did buy 500 more PTT right near the LOD. I think the pullback is likely about over. I gauge when its time to buy a pullback based on my fear from my existing position. Because today I started to worry about my existing PTT position, it must mean its time to buy more. We'll know soon.

I also covered my GES position, taking a small loss. When the market is screaming, I don't want to get caught with my pants down (not Guess brand) if GES is a boat that gets lifted with the tide.


mdawsz said...

The opportunity cost of holding MVIS has been an unfortunate burden.

Woodshedder said...

Yes M, it has sucked royally the last 3 months.

Anyway, I see Fly took you off his blogroll...Yuk yuk yuk...I guess I'll have to remove you soon, too. But I'll give you a bit longer to crawl out of your lazy ass cave.

And to sierramtninvestor, put your blog back up, AT ONCE. lol

Sierra Water said...

I had to let it go because I could not post all my trades and I started to feel guilty. I would literally buy and sell back a position 3xs in day. I am working on new lay out where I can post my key stock ideas and major swing trades. The stocks I trade intraday take up too much time with a full work schedule. I am sure you can relate Wood. I will post some ideas here in the back ally until I get my new site up. It's all or nothing! Wood, take a good look at UVE. I may jump in early am. "I may jump in early am" is a trademark of Sierra Mtn Water.

Woodshedder said...

Brent, let me know, and I'll send you the keys to my blog if you want to post here in the meantime. UVE looks primed.

Sierra Water said...

UVE getting it's swirve on!! I caught the opening for 2k shares.

Woodshedder said...

Nice work. I checked it out last night, and then forgot to add it to my screen today. Dammit.