Sunday, January 14, 2007

First Post

I feel as though this first-ever post to my blog should be profound. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time for that. I would like to give thanks to other trading bloggers who have really helped me out over the past year. Special thanks to Ugly, Mike, Brian, and Broker A.

I intend for this blog to post my buys and sells and to have both my good trades and bad trades detailed here. I hope that public disclosure of my trades and the thought processes that lead to them will make me more profitable.

I am primarily a swing trader, although I do put on day trades if I see a good setup. My work situation allows for some freedom to trade. Some days I can have several hours of time to watch my positions trade. Most days I can watch the open and the close, and have an hour or so during lunch. However, other days I will put on a large position only to have something critical come up at work, and I'll have to leave the trade unattended. Trying to balance working full-time and trading full-time has made me use stop-losses judiciously. Nobody in my office has a clue about my involvement in the financial markets.

As time and interest permits, I'll post some charts and discuss my strategies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, man! Welcome to the blog-o-sphere! I came across your blog through your blog address posting on the DNA msg boards. The irony is I've been a big fan of the Fly on the Wall and Alphatrends for about 1 month now. And I see you have made referrence to them on your own blog. If your blog is anything like there's, as Borat would say: "It will be great success!"
Anyway, I can see you're off to a great start. Super postings!

Maybe also keep an eye on SORL (it's a Chinese auto parts manufacturer). They have a a PEG of about 1.0 compared to CAAS' PEG of 1.5. The stock just started to receive coverage this past week. It is also holding the 50-day with a minor bull-flag and increased money flow. It's speculative at this point, but it appears that a buy through 9.10 might make sense. It could, in time, test the 52-wk and etch out a cup-and-handle. Time will tell.
Good luck to your blog!

CNL said...

That is priceless! I am the exact same way, however I hardly every have time to watch the ticker window during the day. Mostly I just watch the open/close and set up my swing plays. I am long MVIS as of Nov. And currently looking for additional medium term holds. Looking foward to your picks.

ambient
seattle, WA

Jeff said...

Thanks Phil. I like SORL's chart. I try to buy close to the 20dma whenever possible. It looks like some good volume has come into the stock lately. It will definitely stay on my radar.

Jeff said...

Carlin, I've been trying to stay in trades longer as an analysis of my trades shows that I often sell too early. My job is such that I can often get lulled into a daytrading mentality, and then the crap hits the fan, and I realize I'm working and I'm not a daytrader! One item I'm thinking of incorporating into my rules is to not buy something I'm not willing to hold at least three days.

Declan Fallon said...

Best of luck with the blog (from a full-time science researcher and financial blogger).

DJF