Monday, September 17, 2007

Bringing Back the Bears from Grandma's

I am glad to be back home, but it is always good to visit Grandma. While there, I had the distinct pleasure (not really) of watching CNBC, which showed me the markets moving against my index shorts. I could find no wi-fi anywhere near her house, and I seriously doubted whether any of her neighbors had internet access. This break from the markets, while difficult initially, is usually a good thing as one can focus on the important things in life.



Undoubtedly, some of you questioned my comment about going to an area of Missouri with "lead mines and tar paper shacks." I took this picture of a house which is about 2 blocks from my Grandma's house. Yes, it is inhabited. I did not get any good pictures of the lead mines.



One standout evening from my adventure was going to watch the local lawnmower races. I'm not much of a photographer, and it was night, but I think you can see from the picture that they are indeed racing lawnmowers. These lawnmowers average about 45 miles per hour. Keep 'em peeled as I hear this is the biggest up-and-coming addition to racing.



As a child, I was always fascinated with this barn. It is across the street from Grandma's house. Exploring it is on my list of things to do before I kick. I thought it made a pretty picture with the goldenrods blooming. In the background, you will notice the rise of a small mountain. Most of you probably do not know that the Ozark Mountains are the only raised area of the U.S. not caused by upheaval. These mountains were formed as water eroded away the softer, more porous rocks, leaving the more dense, weather resistant rocks behind.



Another favorite spot of mine to visit when staying with Grandma is Elephant Rocks State Park. This park features huge granite boulders which have survived the erosion and weathering processes. As you can see, just like his Daddy, my 6 year old son is very strong. He definitely does not know his own strength. I told him to set that rock back down before someone got hurt.

My Grandmother is 96 years old, and there is some doubt as to how much longer she'll make it. It is very grounding to go stay with her and get back in touch with my roots. While she, and that side of my family are very poor, they experience a way of life which I'm sure they feel to be very satisfying. It is certainly important to keep in mind that material goods and all the trappings of modernity do not necessarily make anyone more happy than they might be were they born to a different station in life.

4 comments:

Dinosaur Trader said...

Right on, brother.

There are more important things in life then money. Sex and violence come to mind...

All kidding aside, I agree with what you say.

-DT

D1 said...

sweet article, sweet pictures

Sierra Water said...

That was sweet Woody. They have a boulder sitting just like that at Boulders in Scottsdale, AZ. I was too scared to put my 2 year old girl underneath it.

nodoodahs said...

Ditcha ett ahny Possum?

Seriously, my mom's folks are from south Louisiana, so my kin have just about eat everything. Good that you got to see Grandma, my Mere Mere just passed last week, and I was glad I went to her 87th b-day earlier in the year. First time we had 16 of the 17 grandkids in one place in over a decade ...